October 16, 2010


Anchormen Squander Second Half Lead

Providence, RI-For the second time in four days, the Rhode Island College menís soccer team played 110 minutes of soccer without trailing for a single second only to come away winless. The visiting Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors battled the Anchormen to a, 1-1, standstill in an important Little East Conference match held at the RIC Soccer Field on Saturday afternoon.


The Anchormen settle for the tie despite a dominant first half which afforded them opportunities for more than one goal. The Anchormen outshot the Warriors, 13-1, over the first 45 minutes and did not allow Eastern a shot on goal for the entire frame. The opening stanzaís lone tally came after a corner kick in the 13th minute. Junior midfielder Hector Espildora Fortuno (Malaga, Spain) served the ball in front of the net to an open junior forward Jonathan Goncalves (Shelton, CT) who pivoted and scored his first goal of the season.



 Junior forward Jonathan Goncalves


The best chance for the Anchormen to tack on a second goal came in the 28th minute when Espildora Fortuno once again found an open teammate off a corner kick.  Senior midfielder Jose Ruiz (Providence, RI) placed a perfect header just inside the right post, but Warrior freshman midfielder Kyle Surprenant (Coventry, CT) swooped in for a defensive save to prevent a second marker.


Although the Anchormen continued to control the match, the momentum began to swing in the 65th minute, when the Warriors took more control of the ball and field position than they had previously. In the 73rd minute, Eastern took advantage of a quick-developing opportunity to tie the match. After a throw-in from near the box, the Anchormen appeared to be clearing the ball toward midfield. But after a couple of inadvertent deflections by players on both teams, Warrior freshman defender Mike Radlbeck (Westbrook, CT) found himself with the ball in space with his eye on a faraway teammate. Radlbeck lofted a long pass in front of the net for junior forward Tom Vear (Monson, MA), who outran his defender and beat junior goalkeeper Nick Clark (East Bridgewater, MA) for the equalizer.


While neither team was dominant in the overtime periods, Eastern saw the best opportunity to claim victory in the 107th minute. Off a corner kick, freshman forward Mitch Power (Douglas, MA) sent a shot toward the right post, but freshman midfielder Mike Rasieleski (Coventry, RI) covered the area for a defensive save, which preserved the tie.   


 The tie is costly for both teams, who entered the dayís action tied for second place in the Little East Conference and just one point behind Keene State for the top spot. The draw, coupled with Keeneís, 6-1, Saturday victory over UMass Boston, gives the Owls a three-point lead in conference. By virtue of head-to-head victories, Keene (9-4-2, 4-0-1 Little East) also owns tiebreakers over both RIC (8-4-1, 3-1-1) and Eastern Connecticut (9-3-2, 3-1-1). 


Junior keeper Carl Appel (West Windsor, NJ) made eight saves in net for the Warriors, while Clark stopped four shots for the Anchormen.  The match was played under sustained heavy winds, which frequently gusted to over 30 miles per hour. 


In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Westfield State on Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 4 p.m.