November 2, 2011


Scott Douglas Scores Winner in Overtime to Lift Owls to, 3-2, Win

Keene, N.H.-Sophomore forward Scott Douglas (East Greenwich, RI) notched his third goal of the game in the 94th minute of action to send the Keene State Owls to the 2011 Little East Conference Menís Soccer Tournament Championship, as they topped the Rhode Island College Anchormen, 3-2, at the Owl Athletic Complex on Wednesday evening.


Keene State (11-7-1) will head to Willimantic, Conn. on Saturday to face the No. 1-seeded Eastern Connecticut State Warriors, who shut out fourth-seeded UMass Dartmouth, 4-0, in the other semifinal this afternoon to advance to the championship.


The Anchormen (11-8) see their season come to an end with the loss. Despite falling short of the Little East Championship, 2011 marked the fourth 10-win season for John Melloís squad in the last six years.



 Senior midfielder Hector Espildora Fortuno


Both teams finished with a Little East record of 5-2, but the Owls secured the second seed and the right to host because of their head-to-head, 2-0, victory over RIC back on Oct. 15.


Keene State jumped out to an early, 2-0, lead over the Anchormen thanks to a pair of first half goals from Douglas. The first came just 43 seconds into the game, while the second came in just the seventh minute of action. Junior back Blake Nyman (Plymouth, MA) was credited with the assist on Douglasí second score.


The Anchormen bounced back from a two-goal deficit in the 15th minute behind senior midfielder Hector Espildora Fortuno (Malaga, Spain). Espildora Fortuno ripped a free kick past sophomore goalkeeper Malcom Cheney (Hopkinton, MA) to make it a one-goal game.



 Sophomore midfielder Ignacio Cespedes brings the
ball up the field against the Owls.


Both offenses were held silent until the second half, when Espildora Fortuno knotted the game at two in the 72nd minute. Espildora Fortuno headed home a crossing pass in the box from senior forward Bruno Costa (Pawtucket, RI) for his fifth goal in his last two games.


However, despite the rally, momentum shifted back towards the Owls in the 83rd minute when freshman midfielder David Ricci (Smithfield, RI) received a red card, forcing RIC to play a man down for the remainder of the evening.


The Anchormen forced overtime, but were downed in the 94th minute after Douglas broke in from the left side and blasted a shot that snuck past senior netminder Nick Clark (East Bridgewater, MA), putting the semifinals in the books.


Clark (11-7) made three saves in the loss, while Cheney (10-3) stopped 10 saves in the win.


The Anchormen outshot the Owls, 17-12, while also holding the advantage in corner kicks, 5-4. It was the final game for RICís five seniors: Clark, Costa, Espildora Fortuno, forward Mike Patriarca (Warren, RI) and defender Troy Silvia (Bristol, RI).