October 23, 2012


Stone Provides Spark Off Bench

Providence, R.I.-Sophomore forward Austin Dias (Lincoln, RI) scored a pair of goals for Rhode Island College as the Anchormen fell to Johnson & Wales, 3-2, at the RIC Soccer Field in non-conference action on Tuesday night.


Playing their fourth game in six days, the Anchormen fell by a single goal for the third straight contest. It marks the eighth time this season that Rhode Island College (4-12-1) has fallen in a one-goal game.



 Sophomore forward Austin Dias


Johnson & Wales (11-7-1) drew first blood in the fifth minute following a corner kick from sophomore midfielder Ray Durski (Monroe, NJ). Durski laced a line drive to the near post that was redirected towards senior defender Steve Cassesse (Ludlow, MA), who chipped it past RIC sophomore goalkeeper Christopher Duarte (Cumberland, RI) for the first score of the game.


In the 31st minute, the Wildcats added another goal after freshman forward Nick Ligouri (Union Beach, NJ) attempted to send a cross towards Durski inside the box. As the pass skipped towards Durski, Duarte came out of the net to break it up. However, the ball bounced in and out of the hands of Duarte, leaving Durski with a wide open net. With nothing but green in front of him, Durski hammered it home to give the visitors a two-goal lead.



 Sophomore Kevin Stone


With the first half winding down, Rhode Island College pulled within a goal after foul in the box led to a free kick for the Anchormen. From 18 yards out, senior defender Tucker Shepard (Tiverton, RI) blasted a shot that knifed through the JWU defensive wall towards sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Dzierawski (Oakland, MI). However, despite an incredible diving effort by Dzierawski to knock down the shot, Dias pounced on the rebound and chipped a shot into the back of the net to give the Anchormen their first goal of the game.



 Senior Carlos Medina with his sisters.


On the ensuing possession, Rhode Island College suffered a massive let down defensively as senior defender John Hart (Sparta, NJ) delivered a perfect pass to Ligouri, who had slipped past the RIC defense with just a minute remaining in the first half. Without a defender in sight, Ligouri ripped a shot past Duarte to once again put the Wildcats ahead by two.


After getting outshot in the first half, 14-5, the Anchormen put the pressure on JWU early in the second half and eventually tacked on another score to make it a one-goal game. In the 52nd minute, sophomore forward Kevin Stone (Wakefield, RI) launched a long pass across midfield to sophomore defender David Ricci (Smithfield, RI), who quickly sent a ball towards Dias who was streaking down the wing. Dias made a move past a defender and fired a shot that ricocheted off the inside of the post and into the back of the net. Stone, RICís backup goalkeeper, recorded his first collegiate point on the play.



 Senior Sean Maguire with Head Coach John Mello (left)
and Assistant Coach Josh Silva (right).


Trailing by a goal in the 75th minute, freshman midfielder Camilo Estrada (Pawtucket, RI) was charged with a red card, forcing the Anchormen to play a man down for the remainder of the game. Despite being short-handed, RIC had several chances in the final minutes to tie the game, but came up empty en route to the, 3-2, loss.


JWU outshot Rhode Island College, 24-12, and held an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks. The Wildcats also committed 20 fouls compared to just 11 for the Anchormen.


Duarte (4-12-1) made a career-high 12 saves in the loss, while Dzierawski (3-1) stopped four shots.



 Senior Tucker Shepard with Head Coach John Mello (left)
and Assistant Coach Josh Silva (right).


The game marked the final home game for Rhode Island Collegeís trio of seniors: Shepard, defender Sean Maguire (Portsmouth, RI) and midfielder Carlos Medina (Pawtucket, RI).


In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will close out the 2012 season at Southern Maine on Saturday, Oct. 27 (1 p.m.).