November 7, 2015



Boston, Mass.--UMass Boston senior forward Pedro Dasilva (Fogo, Cape Verde) scored a pair of goals, including the game winner in overtime, to give the Beacons the 2-1 overtime victory over the Rhode Island College menís soccer team in the 2015 Little East Conference Tournament championship match.


The fourth-seeded Anchormen (11-7) see their season come to an end against the third-seeded Beacons (16-4) for the second consecutive season. With the win, the Beacons advance to the NCAA tournament for the second consecutive season.


The Anchormen took the lead in the 25th minute when junior midfielder Dan Monteiro (Pawtucket, RI) took a feed from sophomore midfielder Ty Catunto (New Bedford, MA) and beat UMB senior goalkeeper Alfonso Rosales (Revere, MA) to give RIC the 1-0 advantage. The teams traded momentum for the remaining 20 minutes, but neither squad could capitalize, sending the game into the half with RIC holding the slim advantage.



 Junior midfielder Dan Monteiro


Rosales turned aside two shots in the half with each team taking four shots. RIC held the 3-0 advantage in shots on net with the Beacons holding a 1-0 edge in corner kicks.


The Beacons nearly knotted the score at 1-1 in the 57th minute when freshman forward Guilherme Barbosa (Saugus, MA) ripped a shot from six yards out but RIC junior keeper Chris Moura (Rumford, RI) was up to the task, turning the shot away and keeping the hosts of the board.


The Beacons tied the game in the 67th minute when Dasilva took a feed from freshman midfielder Mohamed Kenawy (Revere, MA), held off a defender and tapped a left-footed shot into the back of the net.


The offense picked up over the final 23 minutes, with both squads registering great opportunities to score. RIC nearly took the lead off a free kick when the ball bounced around, nearly being headed into an empty net, but the Beacons defense knocked it away, keeping the game tied at 1-1.


Dasilva nearly scored with just under 14 minutes remaining when he broke in alone but Moura slid out and punched the ball away. The two teams entered the overtime period looking for an opportunity to punch their ticket to the NCAA Tournament again. The Beacons attacked early and in the 98th minute Dasilva finally broke through, scoring his second of the game and sending UMB back to the NCAA tournament.


 Moura (11-6) finished with six saves in the game, while Rosales (11-2) stopped eight in the victory. UMB held a 19-15 edge in shots and a 7-0 advantage in corner kicks