October 1, 2016



Dartmouth, Mass.--Junior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) evened the game in the 75th minute as the Rhode Island College men’s soccer team battled UMass Dartmouth to a 3-3 double overtime tie in Little East Conference action on Saturday afternoon.


UMass Dartmouth (6-3-1, 1-1-1 LEC) took the early 1-0 lead when junior midfielder Haden Cordeiro (Dartmouth, MA) took a corner kick that was tipped into the corner of the net by senior forward Stephen Teixiera (Brockton, MA) at the 13:34 mark. The Corsairs upped their lead to 2-0 in the 27th minute when junior midfielder Austin Dias (Smithfield, RI) put in a shot after sophomore forward John Correia (Peabody, MA) slipped through the defense.



 Freshman midfielder Kevin Tay Munoz


Rhode Island College (6-3-1, 1-1-1 LEC) chipped away at the lead when freshman midfielder Kevin Tay Munoz (Providence, RI) tallied his first collegiate goal, putting in a pass from junior midfielder Ty Catunto (New Bedford, MA) in the 37th minute. The Anchormen then knotted the game at 2-2 at the 38:31 mark after senior midfielder Dan Monteiro (Pawtucket, RI) blasted in a shot from 15 yards out. The two teams headed into halftime in a deadlock with the visitors holding a slight edge in shots, 7-6.


The host Corsairs regained the advantage in the 52nd minute as Teixiera notched his second goal of the contest, chipping a shot into the upper corner of the net after a pass from senior forward Matt Vidal (New Bedford, MA) to make the score 3-2.  RIC continued to pressure, however, and once again evened the contest at 3-3 in the 75th minute when junior forward Cooper Ferreira (Westerly, RI) started a breakaway and found Dogbey who connected on a shot to the back of the net for his team best sixth goal of the season.



 Junior forward Komla Dogbey


The Anchormen had several scoring chances down the stretch, including one with just under 10 seconds left in regulation as UMD was whistled for a yellow card.  RIC couldn’t capitalize on the ensuing free kick, however, as the game headed into overtime knotted at 3-3.


In the first overtime period, RIC carried the play and nearly ended it in the final seconds of the 10-minute period, but senior goalkeeper Luis Carranza (New Bedford, MA) was up to the task as he turned away several shots to preserve the 3-3 tie. The two teams then battled through a second 10-minute period, but neither could score as the game ended in a draw.


RIC senior goalkeeper Chris Moura (Rumford, RI) made 12 saves while Carranza notched 10 stops for UMass Dartmouth.   The Corsairs held the advantage in shots, 21-17, and the two squads were even in corner kick attempts, 5-5.


In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Worcester State on Wednesday, Oct. 5 (4 p.m.).