Providence, R.I.—Freshman Billy Geiger (Old Bridge, NJ) recorded his first collegiate victory to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to an 8-3 win against Becker in a non-conference contest to open the home portion of the 2018 campaign at Pontarelli Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 8, Becker 3
(Rhode Island College 7-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After three scoreless innings to start the game, Becker got on the board first when freshman left fielder Willis Pollard (Worthington, MA) drew a bases loaded walk to score junior first baseman Tanyon Ventres (Holden, MA) with an unearned run in the top of the fourth to put the Hawks up 1-0. A sacrifice fly from freshman right fielder William Negron (Bronx, NY) made the score 2-0 for the Becker, which plated both runs without the benefit of a hit.
• RIC cut into the lead in the bottom of the fourth when senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato (Cranston, RI) had a one out single and came around to score on a wild pitch to make the score 2-1. The Anchormen then knotted the game at 2-2 when senior right fielder Shaun Vigeant (Coventry, RI) picked up a single and later scored on a failed pick-off attempt from Becker.
• The Anchormen pulled ahead, 3-2, in the bottom of the fifth when sophomore left fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) led off with a double and scored on a sacrifice fly from senior center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI).
• RIC tacked on four insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth, which included a pair of RBI singles by sophomore shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) and classmate third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI), to go along with an RBI double from sophomore Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI), to make the score 7-2.
• The visiting Hawks chipped away in the top of the seventh when an RBI single from senior shortstop Chris Testa (Providence, RI) put the score at 7-3.
• The Anchormen capped off the scoring for the afternoon in the bottom of the seventh with an RBI single from sophomore catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Becker scored three runs on three hits with one RIC error.
• The Anchormen scored eight runs on 10 hits and one Becker error.
• Silva went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, while Pettinato was 2-for-3 with a pair of runs in the win for RIC.
• Geiger allowed one run on three hits with three strikeouts in four innings of work to notch the win on the mound for the Anchormen.
• Senior Christopher LaDou (Worcester, MA) suffered the loss in relief for Becker, allowing one run in an inning of relief.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Anna Maria on Thursday, March 29 (3:30 p.m.).