Newport, R.I.—Rhode Island College senior catcher Tyler Rains (North Kingstown, RI) belted a solo homer and knocked in a pair of runs as the Anchormen lost, 12-4 (eight innings) at Salve Regina on Thursday afternoon.
Salve Regina 12, Rhode Island College 4 (eight innings)
Salve Regina (7-7)
Rhode Island College (9-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first, scoring on an error, while Rains was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) was walked with the sacks full.
• The hosts struck back quickly with three runs in the home half of the first. Designated hitter Zack Smith doubled in a pair and catcher Christian Va singled in the equalizer.
• A Va RBI on an infield hit and a wild pitch allowed the Seahawks to take a 5-3 lead in the third inning.
• Salve first baseman Alex Perry and Smith smacked RBI singles as part of a three-run fifth. Rains homered in the top of the sixth, but Perry belted a two-run homer as part of a four-run sixth to help the hosts end the game early.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC scored four runs on five hits and committed four errors.
• The Seahawks scored 12 runs on 11 hits and committed just one miscue.
• Zincone knocked in one run.
• Perry went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and three RBI. Smith went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and three RBI.
• Sophomore starter Erry Baldayac (Providence, RI) suffered the loss (0-1), allowing five runs (four earned) on four hits in 2.2 innings pitched.
• Salve Regina reliever Michael Matthews earned the win (1-1), allowing one run on three hits in five innings of work.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at home with a doubleheader vs. Plymouth State on Saturday, April 7 (Noon).