Providence, R.I.—Senior center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI) hit a two-out, two-run bases loaded single to help Rhode Island College walk off with a 5-4 win over Johnson & Wales on Wednesday afternoon at Pontarelli Field.
Rhode Island College 5, Johnson & Wales 4
(Rhode Island College 12-8)
(Johnson & Wales 15-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchormen took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first as Douglas singled and eventually scored on senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato's (Cranston, RI) RBI single.
• JWU evened the game in the fifth as the Wildcats plated two with a pair of fielder's choice RBI.
• The visitors put two across in the top of the eighth as sophomore shortstop Raimiel Rodriguez (Providence, RI) and senior designated hitter Edison Mercado (Providence, RI) each hit RBI singles.
• RIC pulled within one in the bottom of the eighth on sophomore catcher Sam Franco's (Cranston, RI) pinch hit solo homer (2).
• In the ninth, senior right fielder Shaun Vigeant (Coventry, RI) led off with a single, while Franco and sophomore second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) each walked to load the bases with two away. Douglas was down to his final strike when he hit a single up the middle to bring home the winning runs.
• Douglas went 2-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI. Freshman reliever Christian Sanchez (Providence, RI) earned the win (2-1), striking out the side in the ninth to hold off JWU.
• JWU senior center fielder Rob Ballinger (South Kingstown, RI) went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and two walks. Junior reliever Josh Mousseau (Woonsocket, RI) took the loss (3-2).
• The game took 3:20 to complete. RIC (13) and Johnson & Wales (17) combined to strand 30 runners. There were 16 walks and four hit batsmen in the contest.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Fitchburg State on Friday, April 13 (3:30 p.m.).