Providence, R.I.--Sophomore second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 4-for-5 with three runs scored and two RBI and sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) knocked in the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a thrilling, 13-12, victory against Springfield in a non-conference contest played at Pontarelli Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 13, Springfield 12
Rhode Island College (16-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Springfield got on the board in the top of the second when it scored three runs, which included a two-run double from junior catcher Alex Denoyelle (Woonsocket, RI) for the 3-0 advantage.
• RIC answered in the bottom of the frame when a two-run triple from sophomore catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) and the Anchormen knotted the game at 3-3 when Franco came around to score on an RBI single from Nate Vigeant.
• The Anchormen took the lead in the bottom of third when an RBI triple from junior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) made the score 4-3 and Walsh scored on an RBI groundout from senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato (Cranston, RI) for the 5-3 advantage.
• RIC tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the fourth, highlighted by an RBI double from Pettinato, to make the score 7-3.
• The visiting Pride chipped away at the lead in the top of the fifth when an RBI single from senior Nick Leduc (Belchertown, MA) made the score 7-4.
• RIC extended the lead in the bottom of the fifth when it pushed across three runs, including a two-run single from sophomore center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI) to take a 10-4 advantage.
• Once again Springfield chipped away at the lead in the top of the sixth when the Pride tallied three runs, paced by a two-run double from sophomore center fielder Chad Shade (Pittsfield, MA) to make the score 10-7.
• The Pride closed the gap to just one run in the top of the seventh with a pair of runs, which included a sacrifice fly from Denoyelle to make it 10-9.
• Springfield evened the game at 10-10 in the top of the eighth on a sacrifice fly from junior first baseman Cam Rivest (Agawam, MA).
• RIC regained the lead in the bottom of the eighth as Douglas led off with a double and later scored as an RBI groundout from Walsh gave the Anchormen the 11-10 advantage.
• Springfield, down to their last at bat, struck for two runs in the top of the ninth on a two-run double from sophomore pinch hitter Jake Gleason (South Dennis, MA) for the 12-11 lead.
• After a leadoff double from sophomore short shop Romy Morel (Providence, RI), RIC knotted the game at 12-12 when Morel scored on an RBI single from Nate Vigeant.
• The Anchormen then completed the walk-off when Nate Vigeant scored on Zincone's game-winning hit.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Springfield scored 12 runs on 17 hits with three RIC errors.
• RIC scored 13 runs on 16 hits with two Springfield errors.
• Douglas went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI, while Zincone went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and a pair of RBI in the win for the Anchormen.
• Shade went 3-for-6 with one run scored and two RBI in the setback for Springfield.
• Freshman Noah Bleakley (Holland, MA) took the loss for Springfield, allowing two runs on five hits in 1.1 innings of work.
• Senior Andrew Veiga (Lincoln, RI) picked up the win on the mound for RIC, giving up two runs on five hits in one inning of relief.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference play with a doubleheader at Eastern Connecticut on Saturday, April 21 (Noon).