North Dartmouth, Mass.-- Sophomore left fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI as the Rhode Island College baseball team dropped a hard-fought, 5-3, decision at UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference contest on Tuesday afternoon.
UMass Dartmouth, Rhode Island College 3
(UMass Dartmouth 18-11, 3-7 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 17-11, 6-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• UMass Dartmouth took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on an RBI single from sophomore third baseman Mike Knell (Dennis, MA) and a RIC wild pitch.
• The Corsairs increased their lead in the bottom of the second as senior designated hitter Erick Ramirez (Boston, MA) registered an RBI double and later scored on a sacrifice fly.
• UMD capped off its scoring for the afternoon in the bottom of the third when a solo home run from junior first baseman Jose Vasquez (Roxbury, MA) made the score 5-0.
• RIC mounted a comeback in the top of the ninth, sending nine hitters to the plate. The first three batters reached safely before UMass Dartmouth could record an out. Silva laced a two-run single to left field to make the score 5-2. A bases loaded walk from senior center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, MA) cut the lead down to 5-3.
• UMD's bullpen retired the Anchormen's next two hitters with the bases loaded to pick up the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC sophomore second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 3-for-4 in the setback.
• Sophomore Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) suffered the loss for the Anchormen, allowing five runs and seven hits with one strikeout in six innings of work.
• Vasquez was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI, while Knell was 2-for-4 with an RBI in the win for UMD.
• Senior Ben Lodge (Blackstone, MA) recorded the win for the Corsairs, allowing two runs on five hits in eight innings, while freshman Logan Maitland (Tiverton, RI) picked up the save with .2 innings of scoreless relief.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Clark on Wednesday, April 25 (3:30 p.m.).