Boston, Mass.—Junior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 5-for-9 with two runs scored and a pair of RBI as the Rhode Island College baseball team wrapped up the regular season with a split of a Little East Conference doubleheader at No. 8 UMass Boston on Friday afternoon. UMass Boston posted a 7-6 win in the opener, while RIC rebounded for a 16-13 victory in the nightcap.
Game One: UMass Boston 7, Rhode Island College 6
Game Two: Rhode Island College 16, UMass Boston 13
UMass Boston (30-8, 11-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (19-13, 8-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• Walsh gave RIC an early lead with an RBI single in the bottom of the first inning.
• UMass Boston responded in the bottom of the frame when it pushed across three runs, which included an RBI single from senior second baseman Dave Murphy (Plymouth, MA).
• RIC regained the lead in the top of the second when the Anchormen notched three more runs, highlighted by a two-run single from sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) for the 4-3 advantage.
• The Anchormen went up, 5-3, in the top of the fourth on an RBI single from Walsh to score senior center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI).
• UMass Boston chipped away at the lead in the bottom of the fourth when an RBI single from senior center fielder Sal Frosceno (Derby, CT) made the score 5-4.
• The host Beacons knotted the game, 5-5, in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly from sophomore catcher Ryan McCormick (Cumberland, RI).
• UMB took a 6-5 lead in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single from junior shortstop Charlie Huegi (Sandy Hook, CT).
• The Anchormen tied the contest, 6-6, in the top of the eighth on an RBI single from Zincone.
• UMass Boston ended the game in the bottom of the ninth when McCormick scored the game-winning run after an RBI double from junior right fielder Wanderson Pinales (Bani, Dominican Republic).
• Zincone was 2-for-4 with one run scored and three RBI, while Walsh was 2-for-4 with two RBI in the setback for RIC.
• McCormick was 1-for-2 with a run scored and two RBI in the win for UMass Boston.
• Sophomore Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) suffered the loss on the mound for RIC, allowing one run on three hits in one inning of relief.
• Senior Alex Carusotto (Pittsfield, MA) picked up the win in relief for UMB, pitching 1.2 innings of scoreless relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• RIC once again struck early in the nightcap as an RBI single from senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato (Cranston, RI) made the score 1-0.
• The Anchormen plated four runs in the top of the second, using a UMB miscue for a pair of runs to extend the lead to 5-0.
• UMass Boston scored two in the bottom of the fourth and took its first lead of the game in the bottom of the fifth when the Beacons pushed across five runs, including a two-run single from junior Nick Herzog (Riverhead, NY), to make the score 8-7.
• The Beacons added two more in the bottom of the sixth for a 10-7 advantage.
• The Anchormen closed the gap to 10-9 on an RBI double from sophomore second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) and an RBI single from Douglas.
• UMB tacked on a pair of runs in the bottom of the seventh to make the score 12-9.
• RIC cut into the lead in the top of the eighth when an RBI groundout from Rains and an RBI double from Webb made the score 12-11.
• The Beacons added another run in the bottom of the eighth as a sacrifice fly from McCormick put the score at 13-11.
• RIC was down to its last at bat for the game and exploded for five runs in the top of the ninth, highlighted by a three-run home run from senior right fielder Shaun Vigeant (Coventry, RI) to grab the 16-13 lead.
• UMB sent the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth, but couldn't push across the runs as RIC held on for the win.
• Douglas went 4-for-6 with one run scored and three RBI, while Shaun Vigeant was 3-for-6 with two runs scored and three RBI in the victory for the Anchormen.
• Senior Chris Fowler (Barnstable, MA) went 4-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI in the loss for UMB, while Herzog went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and three RBI for the Beacons.
• Sophomore Erry Baldayac (Providence, RI) picked up the win for RIC, allowing three runs on three hits with two strikeouts in three innings of relief.
• Junior Bobby Tramondozzi (Peabody, MA) suffered the loss for UMass Boston, allowing five runs on five hits in one inning of work.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will be the No. 4 seed and take part in the 2018 Little East Baseball Championship, hosted by top-seeded UMass Boston on Wednesday, May 9.