Boston, Mass.--Senior center fielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI) went 3-for-5 with three RBI as fourth-seeded Rhode Island College lost, 10-5, vs. No. 2-seeded Eastern Connecticut in game six of the 2018 Little East Conference Baseball Championship, hosted by UMass Boston on Thursday night.
Eastern Connecticut 10, Rhode Island College 5
Eastern Connecticut (24-14)
Rhode Island College (20-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC scored two runs in the bottom of the third to take an early, 2-0, advantage. Douglas and sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) plated the runs with an RBI single and fielder's choice, respectively.
• The Anchormen tacked on another run in the fifth, courtesy of an RBI fielder's choice by Douglas.
• Senior starter Daniel Greaves (Warwick, RI) was outstanding through six innings, allowing just one unearned run on seven hits, to go along with five strikeouts, before giving way to the bullpen.
• ECSU second baseman Colin Russell knocked in a run in the sixth to pull the Warriors within a pair, 3-1.
• Eastern Connecticut rallied with four runs in the seventh and eighth, respectively, and tacked on one in the ninth to pull away against the Anchormen. Warrior catcher Merlyn Herrara and first baseman D.J. Scavone each knocked in two with singles in the seventh and eighth.
• Douglas knocked in a run in the seventh with a double and junior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) homered in the eighth to wrap up the night offensively for the Anchormen.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore left fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk for RIC.
• ECSU third baseman Alex Parkos went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. Center fielder Alexander White went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI and a pair of walks.
• RIC sophomore reliever Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) took the loss (1-4). ECSU starter Nick Rascati earned the win (3-0).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face sixth-seeded UMass Dartmouth in an elimination game on Friday, May 11 (2:30 p.m.).