Providence, R.I.—Junior pitcher Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) hurled eight solid innings, while senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) had two hits and a three-run homer (2), to lead Rhode Island College past Worcester State, 8-4, at Pontarelli Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 8, Worcester State 4
Rhode Island College (12-5)
Worcester State (7-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Webb struck out eight en route to earning his third win (3-0) of the year. Walsh went 2-for-5 with a run scored, three RBI, one double and a homer. Junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 3-for-5 with a run scored, three RBI and a double.
• Worcester State junior center fielder Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, MA) went 1-for-4 with a double and two RBI. Sophomore left fielder Jake Breton's (Wilbraham, MA) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI and a homer. Freshman right fielder Andrew Miller (Naples, FL) also picked up a pair of hits for the visitors.
• The game was scoreless until RIC erupted for seven runs in the bottom of third, highlighted by Walsh's three-run homer and a Vigeant RBI single.
• Worcester State scored once in the fourth on Breton's homer, twice in the fifth and once in the sixth, to climb within three, 7-4.
• Vigeant knocked in an insurance run in the seventh and senior Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) came on in the ninth and set the Lancers down in order to close out the win.
• Worcester State junior starter Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, CT) took the loss (1-1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Salve Regina on Wednesday, April 3 (3:30 p.m.).