Providence, R.I.--Senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 1-for-3 with an RBI as the Rhode Island College baseball team dropped a, 5-3, decision against Salve Regina in a non-conference contest played at Pontarelli Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Salve Regina 5, Rhode Island College 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Ric junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) was 1-for-2 with one run scored in the loss.
• Senior Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) suffered the setback (2-1) for the Anchormen, allowing five runs on eight hits to go along with five strikeouts in six innings.
• Salve Regina was led by senior right fielder Zack Smith (New Canaan, CT) who went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI.
• Junior Tom Beliveau (West Newbury, MA) picked up the win (1-2) for Salve Regina, allowing three runs on six hits to go along with two strikeouts in six innings. Sophomore Andrew Roman (Monson, MA) recorded the save (3) with a scoreless ninth inning for the Seahawks.
• The visitors took the early lead when a two-run home run to deep center field by Smith, which staked the Seahawks to a 2-0 advantage in the top of the first.
• Smith then had a solo shot to right in the top of the third to make it 3-0.
• RIC rallied in the bottom of the third as the hosts plated three runs, which included an RBI double by Walsh, to knot the game at 3-3.
• SRU used an RBI groundout from junior catcher Dylan Ketch (Clinton, CT) in the top of the fourth and a sacrifice fly from sophomore left fielder Dustin Siqueira (Trumbull, CT) in the top of the fifth to take a 5-3 advantage.
• That would be all the scoring for the contest as Salve Regina held on for the 5-3 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Elms on Thursday, April 4 (3:30 p.m.).