Providence, R.I.—Senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and four RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a thrilling, 16-14, come from behind victory against Elms in a non-conference contest played at Pontarelli Field on Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 16, Elms 14
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and four RBI. Junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) scored three runs and knocked in another.
• Junior shortstop Josh Pasini (Enfield, CT) led the way for Elms, going 4-for-6 with two runs scored and three RBI. Sophomore designated hitter Nathan Ayala (Springfield, MA) was 4-for-6 with two runs scored and two RBI in the loss for the Blazers.
• Elms struck early when they got on the board in the top of the first, highlighted by an RBI triple from Pasini, to give the Blazers the 3-0 advantage.
• RIC responded in the bottom of the first when they scored five runs, including back-to-back home runs from Rotondo and Walsh, for the 5-3 advantage.
• Junior designated hitter Nate Donovan (Lincoln, RI) had an RBI single in the bottom of the second to give the Anchormen the 6-3 advantage.
• RIC broke the game open with four runs in the bottom of the third, highlighted by a two-run triple from Walsh, to take a seven-run, 10-3, lead.
• Elms chipped away in the top of the fourth as it scored three runs, highlighted by an RBI single from Pasini, to make it 10-6.
• After an RBI single from junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) staked RIC to the 11-6 advantage in the bottom of the fourth, the visiting Blazers responded with two in the top of the fifth to trim the lead to three, 11-8.
• Elms used two runs in the top of the sixth, including an RBI single from sophomore second baseman Kris Alverado (Springfield, MA), to cut the lead to 11-10. The Blazers then scored three in the top of the seventh to go up by two, 13-11.
• RIC used a sacrifice fly from Vigeant and an RBI single from Rotondo to knot the game, 13-13, after seven innings of play.
• Elms regained the lead in the top of the eighth when an RBI single from senior center fielder Alex Hoss (Stafford Springs, CT) made the score 14-13.
• Once again, RIC responded and the Anchormen capitalized on an Elms miscue when a liner from Vigeant was dropped and allowed junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) to score the game-tying run. The Anchormen then took a 15-14 lead when Rotondo drew a bases loaded walk to score sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI). Walsh was then hit by a pitch, scoring freshman right fielder Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI), for the 16-14 advantage.
• Junior Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) then held Elms scoreless in the top of the ninth to improve to 3-2 on the season.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at home vs. Castleton on Sunday, April 7 (noon).