Springfield, Mass.—Sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI as the Rhode Island College baseball team fell, 9-5, at Springfield on Wednesday afternoon.
Springfield 9, Rhode Island College 5
Rhode Island College (21-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a pair of RBI. Classmate second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
• Springfield first baseman Noah Bleakley went 2-for-3 with a run scored, one walk and four RBI. Shortstop Brandon Russo went 4-for-4 from the leadoff spot, scoring twice and knocking in one.
• RIC freshman starter Cameron Harris (Cranston, RI) took the loss (1-2). Springfield freshman starter Mitch Wright (Clifton Park, NY) earned the victory (1-2).
• The hosts took a 3-0 in the bottom of the first, paced by a Bleakley sacrifice fly and an RBI single by senior catcher Alex Denoyelle (Woonsocket, RI).
• The Pride plated five runs in the second to build an 8-0 lead. Russo tripled in a run and Bleakley blasted a three-run homer in the frame.
• The Anchormen got on the board in the fourth as Morel brought in a pair with a two-run single.
• After junior right fielder Jake Gleason (South Dennis, MA) homered to make it 9-2 in the fourth, the Anchormen plated three in the fifth. Coro tripled in a run, Vigeant singled in a run and junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) capped the day's scoring with an RBI single.
• RIC is 9-2 in its last 11 games.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at home with a doubleheader vs. Keene State on Saturday, April 20 (noon).