Providence, R.I.- Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored a game-high 25 points and pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds in his collegiate debut to give the Rhode Island College men's basketball team a 100-96 victory against Pine Manor in the 2017-18 season-opener played at The Murray Center on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 100, Pine Manor 96
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Pine Manor (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) scored 23 points, dished out five assists and swiped four steals. Senior guard Malcolm Smith (Old Orchard Beach, ME) contributed 16 points, four rebounds, two blocks and two steals in the win.
• Sophomore guard Chris Farrington (Fall River, MA) chipped in with 13 points, six rebounds and four assists, while freshman guard AJ Pettway (Worcester, MA)rounded out the double-figure scorers for RIC with 10 points.
• Junior guard Jamel Hamans (Meriden, CT) paced Pine Manor with 20 points, five rebounds and five assists.
• Junior forward Rasheed Bell (Dorchester, MA) tallied 17 points with five rebounds and two steals, while junior forward Joshua Gause (Poughkeepsie, NY) and sophomore guard Steven Collins (Lynn, MA) each recorded 11 points for the Gators.
• RIC led from the opening tip and took its largest lead of the game, 54-27, on a three-pointer from Smith with 3:27 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen led, 58-36, at the half.
• RIC led by 22 early in the second half before Pine Manor chipped away at the advantage, cutting the lead down to two points, 87-85, on a layup from senior guard Lou Savage (Newark, NJ) with just under four minutes left in the contest.
• The visiting Gators whittled the RIC lead down to just two points several times down the stretch, but it wasn't enough as the hosts held on for the 100-96 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 49.1 percent (26-of-55) from the field, 50.0 percent (5-of-10) from the three-point line and 70.6 percent (36-of-51) from the free throw line.
• Pine Manor shot 45.5 percent (30-of-66) from the field, 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from the three-point line and 75.6 percent (28-of-37) from the free throw line.
• There were a total of 62 fouls (35 for Pine Manor; 27 for RIC) and 88 free throws (37 for Pine Manor; 51 for RIC) in the game.
• Pine Manor outrebounded RIC by a 39-36 margin.
• Both teams had 23 turnovers in the contest.
• The game took 2:20 to complete.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face host Wheaton in opening round action of the Wheaton Tournament on Friday, Nov. 17 (7:30 p.m.).