Providence, R.I.-Sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) notched 22 points, four rebounds and four assists to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball fell to an, 85-76, victory against Plymouth State in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 85, Plymouth State 76
(Rhode Island College 4-10, 2-3 LEC)
(Plymouth State 6-8, 0-5 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior guard Malcolm Smith (Old Orchard Beach, ME) tallied 17 points, five rebounds and three assists.
• Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) contributed 16 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals for the Anchormen.
• Junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) was also in double-figures in the victory with 10 points and seven boards.
• Plymouth State sophomore guard Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, NH) led all scorers with 43 points and three rebounds.
• Junior forward Mike Osgood (Nashua, NH) added 19 points and eight rebounds in the loss for the Panthers.
• The two teams traded leads early with the score tied, 23-23, with 7:52 left in the first half.
• RIC then used a 13-1 run, capped by a layup from sophomore guard Mike Valelli (Cranston, RI), to put the Anchormen up by 12, 36-24, with 3:46 remaining in the first half. RIC took a 43-34 advantage heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Anchormen led by as many as 17 points on several occasions in the second half, which included a 69-52 advantage after a pair of free throws by Donaldson with 5:38 left in the contest.
• Plymouth State cut the lead to just five points late in the game when a layup from Osgood with 1:22 left made the score 79-74.
• PSU forced the Anchormen into a key turnover on the ensuing possession, but gave the ball right back to RIC with a turnover to seal its fate. Donaldson hit several key free throws in the final seconds to solidify the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 50.0 percent (27-of-54) from the field, 35.0 percent (7-of-20) from the three-point line and 72.7 percent (24-of-33) from the free throw line.
• Plymouth State shot 40.3 percent (25-of-62) from the field, 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from the three-point line and 74.1 percent (20-of-27) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Plymouth State by a 40-34 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at home vs. Western Connecticut on Wednesday, Jan. 17 (7:30 p.m.).