Providence, R.I.-Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) recorded a double-double with a team-best 20 points and 11 rebounds as the Rhode Island College men's basketball fell to Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Thursday evening.
Western Connecticut 78, Rhode Island College 70
(Rhode Island College 4-11, 2-4 LEC)
(Western Connecticut 8-7, 5-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) tallied 12 points, four rebounds and four assists.
• Junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) was also in double figures with 12 points and four boards in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Western Connecticut junior guard Tyler Rowe (East Hartford, CT) led all scorers with 25 points, five assists and four rebounds.
• Junior forward Rashard Rodriguez (Trumbull, CT) chipped in 13 points and four rebounds in the win for the Colonials.
• The two teams traded leads throughout the first half with neither team building more than a six-point advantage. Western Connecticut took a 34-33 lead heading into halftime.
• Western Connecticut built on its lead throughout the second half and took their first double-digit advantage, 66-54, on a layup from sophomore forward Jonathan Mowatt (Waterbury, CT) with 6:16 left in the contest.
• The visiting Colonials then held on for the 78-70 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 32.3 percent (21-of-65) from the field, 28.6 percent (8-of-28) from the three-point line and 83.3 percent (20-of-24) from the free throw line.
• Western Connecticut shot 52.6 percent (30-of-57) from the field, 36.8 percent (7-of-19) from the three-point line and 64.7 percent (11-of-17) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Western Connecticut by a 47-32 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at Eastern Connecticut on Saturday, Jan. 20 (3 p.m.).