Providence, R.I.—Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched a double-double with 19 points, 14 rebounds, four blocks and two assists as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team suffered a heart-breaking, 65-64, setback against UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Tuesday evening.
UMass Dartmouth 65, Rhode Island College 64
RIC (9-6, 2-4 LEC)
UMD (10-4, 4-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) scored 16 points and added eight rebounds, while freshman guard Tamar Williams (New Haven, CT) notched 13 points in his debut for the Anchormen.
• Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) rounded out the Anchormen's double figure scorers with 10 points, five rebounds, four steals and three assists.
• Sophomore guard Jake Ashworth (Fairhaven, MA) led the way for UMass Dartmouth with a game-high 22 points, four rebounds and two assists.
• UMD senior forward Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey) added a double-double with 13 points, 11 rebounds and three assists, while senior forward Arinze Obiora (Hyde Park, MA) also notched a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards.
• The Corsairs built a four point, 14-10, advantage with 12:36 left in the first half, which was capped by a three-pointer by Akcam.
• RIC ripped off an 8-3 run to lead by seven, 24-17, with 7:55 remaining in the frame. Williams contributed four points during the run.
• Back-to-back jumpers by Williams increased the host's advantage to 13, 33-20, with 3:58 left in the opening stanza. The visitors took control and outscored the Anchormen, 8-0, to go into halftime trailing by five, 33-28. Ashworth accounted for four Corsair points during the outburst.
• UMD opened the second stanza on a 10-6 run, capped by a three-pointer from Ashworth to put the Corsairs ahead, 38-36 with 15:53 left on the clock.
• The two teams then battled back and forth throughout the second half with RIC holding a 59-55 advantage on a layup from Vezele with 3:00 remaining.
• RIC led, 64-61, on a pair of free throws from Vezele with :52 on the clock. UMD then hit four straight from the line, all of them from Obiora, to take the one point, 65-64, lead
• The Anchormen had one final chance with five seconds left, but a long three-pointer from Campbell fell just short as the Corsairs held on for the 65-64 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 40.0 percent (26-for-65) from the field, 27.0 percent (7-for-26) from three point range and 36.0 percent (5-for-14) from the free throw line.
• UMass Dartmouth shot 34.0 percent (22-for-65) from the field, 29.0 percent (6-for-21) and 88.0 percent (15-for-17) from the free throw line.)
• RIC held a slight, 48-42, advantage on the boards.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at UMass Boston on Saturday, Jan. 12 (3 p.m.).