Providence, R.I.-The Rhode Island College men's soccer tem and Clark University battled to a 1-1 double-overtime tie at Alumni Field on Tuesday evening.
Rhode Island College 1, Clark 1 (2OT)
(Rhode Island College 0-1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After battling back and forth early, Clark had the best scoring chance in the 30th minute when junior midfielder Jack Stark (Abington, MA) took a shot that was first saved by RIC freshman goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) and then hit off the cross bar. That marked the only solid scoring opportunity for either team as the game headed into halftime in a scoreless draw.
• In the 87th minute, RIC senior All-New England forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) started a breakaway down the far side of the field. He then sent a crossing pass to junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) who buried a shot from just outside the top of the box to give RIC the 1-0 lead. It was the Anchormen's first goal in 177 minutes of action this fall.
• With time running down in regulation, Clark had a throw-in from sophomore defender Trevor Sheridan (Massapequa Park, NY). French threw the ball to the far post where sophomore forward Evan Jurkowski (Ludlow, MA) headed it into the upper corner of the net to send the game to extra time.
• Both teams had their chances in the two overtime periods, but neither could convert as the game ended in the 1-1 tie.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian (0-0-1) had eight saves for RIC, while senior Connor Maguire (Dunstable, MA) (1-0-2) recorded one stop for Clark.
• Clark registered a 19-6 advantage in shots and held an 11-6 margin in corner kicks for the contest.
RIC will return to action when they travel to the Oneonta (NY) State Tournament on Sept. 8-9. The Anchormen will face RPI on Sept. 8 (1 p.m.) and St. Lawrence on Sept. 9 (1 p.m.).