Providence, R.I.--Sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) clinched the win with a straight set victory at No. 4 singles to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to a 6-3 win over Wentworth in the season-opener for both clubs in a match played at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 6, Wentworth 3
Rhode Island College (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and Hoy downed WIT freshman Samuel Fero (Whitman, MA) and sophomore Andrew Farrell (Monmouth Beach, NJ), 8-2, at No. 3 doubles.
• RIC senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI) defeated WIT junior Mun Chet (Braintree, MA) and sophomore Harrison Maki (Rutland, MA), 8-3, at No. 2 doubles.
• Wentworth junior Alex Mularski (Auburn, MA) and sophomore Tyler Hall (Framingham, MA) defeated the RIC tandem of sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT), 8-2, at No. 1 doubles
• The Anchormen began singles play as Shea defeated Chet (6-1, 6-2) at No. 5 singles. Esposito bested WIT sophomore Matt Roberts (Westfield, MA) (6-1, 6-3) at No. 6 singles.
• Hoy then sealed the victory at No. 4 singles (6-2, 6-2) vs. Maki. WIT sophomore Jarrett North (Roanoke, TX) bested Scott (2-6, 6-1, 10-7), before Gambardella downed Mularski (6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 10-3).
• Hall closed out the match with a win (6-4, 7-6 (7-4)) over Bourque at No. 1 singles.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open up Little East play at home vs. Western Connecticut on Saturday, March 23 (1 p.m.).