Providence, R.I.--Senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) recorded a pair of victories, including the match-clinching (6-0, 6-0) win at No. 6 singles, to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to a 6-3 victory against Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon
Rhode Island College 6, Western Connecticut 3
Rhode Island College (1-1, 1-0 LEC)
Western Connecticut (0-1, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) posted an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles against the WCSU team of freshman Jerry Narcisse (Norwalk, CT) and junior Mathew Kusaila (Goshen, CT).
• RIC senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI) notched an 8-2 win over WSCU sophomore Matthew Carino (Sandy Hook, CT) and freshman Jay Kilcourse (New Fairfield, CT) at second doubles to put the Anchormen up 2-0.
• Esposito and sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) gave RIC the clean sweep of doubles matches with an 8-5 win over the Colonials team of sophomore William Hogan (Ridgefield, CT) and senior Chauncey Allers (Wilton, CT) at No. 1 doubles.
• The Anchormen began singles with a win (6-0, 6-1) from Hoy against Kilcourse to give RIC the 4-0 lead in the match.
• Esposito then sealed the victory at No. 6 singles (6-0, 6-0) against Kusaila.
• Shea put the Anchormen up 5-0 in the match with his (6-1, 6-1) win over Narcisse at the No. 5 singles spot.
• Carino defeated Scott, (6-3, 6-1) at No. 2 singles to give the Colonials their first point of the afternoon. Hogan then recorded a (7-6, 6-2) win over Bourque at the No. 1 spot to make the score 6-2.
• Allers closed out the day with a (6-2, 7-5) win against Gambardella.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Clark on Wednesday, March 27 (3:30 p.m.).