Gorham, Maine-- Sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) registered a pair of victories, including the match-clinching victory at No. 1 singles, to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to an impressive, 9-0, victory at Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, Southern Maine 0
Rhode Island College (6-1, 3-0 LEC)
USM (0-4, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) gave the Anchormen the first point of the afternoon as they took an 8-2 win over junior Kyle Morin (Lewiston, ME) and senior Matt Norris (Casco, ME) at No. 3 doubles.
• RIC extended the lead to 2-0 after an 8-0 win at No. 1 doubles by Bourque and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) against the Southern Maine team of sophomore Adam Papayoanou (Valencia, CA) and junior Matt Henderson (Newburyport, MA).
• The Anchormen made it a perfect sweep of doubles action as senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Smithfield, RI) posted an 8-1 win against sophomore Nick DeAngelis (Wareham, MA) and senior Evan Zuchowski (Dover, NH) at No. 2 doubles.
• Esposito defeated Norris (6-0, 6-0) at No. 6 singles before Bourque clinched the contest for the Anchormen with a straight set (6-0, 6-2) win over Papayoanou at the No. 1 singles spot.
• Gambardella registered a victory (6-3, 6-0) for RIC at No. 3 singles against DeAngelis, while Scott's win (6-2, 6-2) against Henderson at No. 2 singles put the Anchormen ahead 7-0.
• Hoy recorded a win (6-1, 6-0) against Zuchowski at No. 4 singles before Shea closed out the match with a win over Morin (6-2, 4-6, 11-9) at No. 5 singles
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, April 9 (3:30 p.m.).