Bridgewater, Mass.—Senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) picked up a straight set win at No. 2 singles to clinch a 5-4 victory for the Rhode Island College men's tennis team at Bridgewater State in a Little East match held on Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 5, Bridgewater State 4
Rhode Island College (8-2, 5-1 LEC)
Bridgewater State (2-7, 1-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Bridgewater State opened the day with an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles as William Jones and Colin Lamusta defeated the RIC tandem of sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT).
• Scott and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI) combined to pick up an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles vs. BSU's Jeff Pavao and Alexander Belinsky.
• Senior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) sent RIC into singles with a 2-1 advantage after defeating the Bears' duo of Joshua Bean and Kendan DeBlois, 8-6.
• DeBlois defeated Shea (6-1, 6-1) at No. 5 singles to even the match. Gambardella defeated Lamusta (6-3, 6-1) at No. 3 singles to put the visitors back out front, 3-2.
• Hoy defeated Bean (6-1, 7-6) at No. 4 singles and Scott bested Jones (6-4, 6-1) to win the match.
• Belinsky defeated Esposito (4-6, 6-3, 10-8) at sixth singles and Pavao downed Bourque (6-4, 6-7, 10-8) at the top spot to close out the match.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Suffolk on April 25 (3:30 p.m.).