Providence, R.I.--Rhode Island College senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the seventh to give the Rhode Island College softball team a thrilling, 13-10, victory against Eastern Connecticut in the second game of a Little East Conference doubleheader played at the Bazar Softball Complex on Tuesday evening. Eastern Connecticut posted a 17-7 win (five innings) in the opener for the split of the twinbill.
Game One: Eastern Connecticut 17, Rhode Island College 7 (5 Innings)
Game Two: Rhode Island College 13, Eastern Connecticut 10
RIC (8-6, 1-1 LEC)
ECSU (13-5, 4-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman right fielder Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI) was 2-for-3 with three RBI, while sophomore designated player Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) was 1-for-2 with two runs scored and two RBI in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Eastern Connecticut sophomore right fielder Alexis Tyrrell (Torrington, CT) went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI, while junior shortstop Sara Pisanelli (Wallingford, CT) was 2-for-3 with three runs scored and three RBI in the win for the Warriors.
• Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) suffered the loss for RIC (4-3), allowing 10 runs on nine hits in 3.1 innings of work.
• Junior Morgan Sanson (Thomaston, CT) picked up the win in relief for ECSU, allowing five runs on five hits to go along with three strikeouts in 3.1 innings.
• Eastern Connecticut jumped out to an early, 5-0, lead in the top, highlighted by a solo home run from Tryrell and a two-run double from freshman first baseman Brooke Matyasovsky (Orange, CT).
• RIC responded in the bottom of the second when a two-run single from sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) made the score 5-2. An RBI double from Kazen in the third would cut the lead to 5-3.
• Eastern Connecticut exploded in the fourth inning when the Warriors plated 11 runs, including a three-run home run from Pisanelli, to take the 16-3 advantage.
• RIC responded with four in the bottom of the fourth, including a two run single from Fluskey and a two run single from Kazen, but it wouldn't be enough as Eastern Connecticut cruised to the 10-run win.
• Simmons went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and five RBI, while freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) was 2-for-4 with three runs scored in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Freshman right fielder Laura Zenk (Hermon, ME) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI and freshman third baseman Julia SanGiovanni (East Haven, CT) was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI in the loss for the Warriors.
• Gough picked up the win for RIC, allowing three runs on seven hits in 3.1 innings.
• Sanson took the loss for Eastern Connecticut, allowing eight runs on six hits to go along with two strikeouts in 1.2 innings of relief.
• RIC trailed by seven, 10-3, heading into the bottom of the sixth when it plated five runs, including an RBI single from Fluskey and a bases loaded walk from Simmons to pull within a pair, 10-8.
• The stage was set for the bottom of the seventh and Simmons' heroics as freshman right fielder Britney Walsh (Bridgewater, MA) had an RBI single to make it 10-9. Simmons then hit a shot to deep left field to clear the bases and propel the Anchorwomen to the walk-off, 13-10, victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader at home vs. Mitchell on Wednesday, April 3 (4 p.m.).