Providence, R.I.--Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) hurled a no-hitter and went 4-for-8 as Rhode Island College swept Worcester State at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Thursday evening. The Anchorwomen took game one, 6-0, behind Gough's stellar effort and hammered the Lancers, 12-4 (six innings), in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 6, Worcester State 0
Game Two: Rhode Island College 12, Worcester State 4 (six innings)
Rhode Island College (14-8)
Worcester State (4-24)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Gough was masterful in the opener, setting down the first 19 Lancers she faced, before a one-out walk in the top of the seventh spoiled her perfect game bid. She retired the next two hitters she faced to secure her eighth (8-4) win of the year.
• Worcester State sophomore starter Liv Larson (Marlboro, MA) walked five batters in the top of the first as RIC jumped out to a 1-0 advantage.
• The hosts broke the game open with a four-run fourth, as Gough smacked her third homer, a two-run shot, to go up by five, 5-0.
• Sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) knocked in the game's final run with an RBI double in the sixth.
• Larson suffered the loss (0-6).
• After jumping out a 2-0 advantage in the first on freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman's (Cranston, RI) and senior catcher Emma Simmons' (Saunderstown, RI) solo homers, the visitors plated four runs in the fourth to take their first lead, 4-2, of the day.
• RIC senior starter Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) settled down and did not allow a run the rest of the game en route to securing her fifth win (5-2) of the season.
• After scoring one in the fourth, Rhode Island College broke the game open with a seven-run fifth inning. Simmons and Cushman each homered in the frame.
• Simmons ended the game in the sixth due to the eight-run rule with a two-run single.
• WSU junior starter Carly Zielinski (Monson, MA) suffered the loss (0-7).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Simmons finished the day going 3-for-7 with four runs scored, two homers and five RBI.
• Cushman went 3-for-7 with three runs scored, two homers and four RBI. Gough chipped in with two runs scored, two doubles, a homer and two RBI.
• Wainwright went 4-for-7 with a run scored, two doubles and three RBI.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action with a doubleheader at home vs. Southern Maine on Saturday, April 13 (1 p.m.).