Gorham, Maine-Senior guard Jessa Rubera (Newton, MA) scored 13 points as Rhode Island College fell, 54-40, at Southern Maine in Little East Conference women's basketball action played at Hill Gymnasium on Wednesday night.
Southern Maine 54, Rhode Island College 40
(Rhode Island College 7-6, 1-3 LEC)
(Southern Maine 6-8, 3-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) finished with eight points, three boards, two blocks and a pair of steals.
• Senior guard Amber DeCristofaro (Smithfield, RI) contributed six points and four rebounds.
• USM junior guard Kimberly Howrigan (Fairfield, VT) finished with 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
• Husky sophomore forward Chantel Eells (Turner, ME) also notched a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
• USM senior guard Emily Nicholson (Quispamsis, ME) and freshman backcourt mate Kristen Curley (Gorham, ME) each notched a game-high 12 points. Junior guard Alexa Srolovitz (Montreal, QC) finished with six points, four assists and three steals.
• The visitors jumped out to a 17-10 lead in the first quarter as a Livramento layup capped the frame's scoring with 1:44 left.
• USM used a 9-0 run, capped by a sophomore guard Mychaela Harton (Georgia, VT) three-pointer, to take a 19-17 lead with 3:18 left in the first half. A Rubera trey with :54 left in the first half sent RIC into the locker room holding a 25-23 lead.
• USM took control midway through the third quarter as Eells converted a layup as part of a 12-2 run to go up by eight, 37-25. A Rubera three pulled the visitors within three, 35-32, at the end of the stanza.
• A 10-2 run by the hosts to open the fourth and final quarter sealed the Anchorwomen's fate.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 27.9 percent (17-for-61)) from the field and 28.6 percent (6-for-21) from the three-point line.
• USM shot 35.0 percent (21-of-60) from the field, 33.3 percent (5-of-15) from the three-point line and 58.3 percent (7-for-12) from the free throw line.
• The Huskies outrebounded RIC, 44-33, and forced RIC into 20 turnovers, while committing 15 miscues.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at home vs. Plymouth State on Saturday, Jan. 13 (1 p.m.).