Keene, N.H.-Freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) scored a career-high 17 points as the Rhode Island College women's basketball squad dropped a 62-50 decision at Keene State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Keene State 62, Rhode Island College 50
(Rhode Island College 7-13, 1-9 LEC)
(Keene State 4-17, 2-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) narrowly missed a double-double with 12 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two steals.
• Senior guard Jessa Rubera (Newton, MA) was also in double figures with 11 points and three rebounds in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore forward Kenzie Bennett (Lake George, NY) paced Keene State with a game-high 18 points and eight rebounds.
• Freshman forward Abby Thut (North Ferrisburg, VT) was also in double figures with 13 points and six boards.
• RIC jumped out to an early 9-2 lead after a jumper from Rubera with 5:25 left in the first quarter.
• Keene responded with a 14-4 run to take a 16-13 advantage on a layup from sophomore guard Hien Thach (Burlington, VT) with just over a minute left in the first. The host Owls held a 16-15 lead at the first break.
• The Owls used a 10-2 run to start the second quarter before taking a 26-21 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• Keene State took its first double-digit advantage of the second half when a layup from Bennett made the score 32-21 with 6:58 left in the third quarter. The Owls led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter, but RIC cut into the deficit to close the gap to just three points, 43-40 after three quarters of play.
• Keene State opened the fourth quarter on a 12-2 run, which was capped by a layup from senior guard Sandi Purcell (Hudson, NH) with 5:44 remaining in the contest and led the rest of the way.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 32.3 percent (20-of-62) from the field, 24.0 percent (6-of-25) from the three-point line and 100.0 percent (4-of-4) from the free throw line.
• Keene State shot 45.3 percent (24-of-53) from the field, 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from the three-point line and 83.3 percent (10-of-12) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Keene State by a 39-34 margin, while the Anchorwomen committed 19 turnovers in the setback.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at Western Connecticut on Wednesday, Feb. 7 (5:0 p.m.).