Dartmouth, Mass.--Eighth-seeded Rhode Island College ended its season in a loss to top-seeded UMass Dartmouth, 78-49, in first round action of the 2018 Little East Conference Women's Basketball Championship on Tuesday night.
UMass Dartmouth 78, Rhode Island College 49
UMass Dartmouth (23-3)
Rhode Island College (9-17)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) led the Anchorwomen with 16 points, eight rebounds, four assists and four steals.
• UMD senior forward Alicia Kutil (Franklin, MA) led five Corsairs in double figures with 15 points, 10 boards and four assists. Junior forward Nakira Examond (New Bedford, MA) finished with 14 points, seven boards and three assists.
• The hosts opened the game on an 8-0 run and led, 22-14, after one quarter of play. RIC moved within nine points in the second quarter, but a 10-0 run helped UMD go into halftime with a 19 point, 44-25, advantage.
• The Corsairs led, 61-37, after three and cruised in the fourth to advance to the league's final four this weekend.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 28 percent (19-for-68) from the field, 32 percent (6-for-19) from beyond the three-point arc and 50 percent (5-for-10) from the free throw line.
• UMD shot 58 percent (35-for-60) from the field, 54 percent (7-for-13) from downtown and 13 percent (1-for-8) from the charity stripe.
• UMD held a slight edge in rebounding, 42-38. The Corsairs swept all three meetings with the Anchorwomen this winter.