Henniker, N.H.--Sophomore midfielder Giana Ritchie (Cumberland, RI) scored four goals as the Rhode Island College women's lacrosse team dropped a 19-8 decision at New England College in a non-conference contest on Wednesday evening.
New England College 19, Rhode Island College 8
Rhode Island College (2-2)
New England College (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Ritchie scored four goals and had eight draw controls, while freshman midfielder Olivia Carpenito (Wilmington, MA) added two goals in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• NEC senior attack Tara Bainbridge (South Hadley, MA) had eight goals and three assists for 11 points, while freshman attack Sophia Castriotta (Framingham, MA) had four goals.
• Senior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) tallied 17 saves in the setback for RIC.
• Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Coughlin (Danielsville, PA) notched four stops in the win for NEC.
• RIC jumped out to the early advantage after a pair of goals from Ritchie and a marker from Carpenito put the Anchorwomen ahead, 3-0, with 19:34 left in the first half.
• New England College responded and tallied three straight, including a pair from Castriotta, to knot the game at 3-3.
• RIC trailed, 6-5, with just under six minutes left in the stanza before NEC recorded three straight to take a 9-5 advantage heading into halftime.
• Ritchie's fourth goal of the game with 21:23 left in the contest cut the Anchorwomen's deficit to five, 12-7.
• The host Pilgrims then scored five straight, including three from Bainbridge, to increase the lead to 17-7 with 13:16 left in the contest. New England College then cruised to the 19-8 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Keene State for a Little East Conference contest on Saturday, March 30 (1 p.m.).