Providence, R.I.--Senior midfielder Stephanie Ricci (Smithfield, RI) scored a goal on senior day to lead the Rhode Island College women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory against Plymouth State in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon. The game was the final regular season home game for Ricci and senior defender Miranda Pacheco (Tiverton, RI).
The win secured a post-season bid for the Anchorwomen as they will compete in the upcoming LEC Tournament. RIC is the No. 5 seed and will travel to No 4.-seeded UMass Boston on Tuesday, Oct. 31 (7 p.m.) in first round action.
Rhode Island College 2, Plymouth State 0
(Rhode Island College 5-11-1, 2-4-1 LEC)
(Plymouth State 7-9, 1-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC got on the board 24th minute when Ricci blasted in a free kick from 30 yards out after Plymouth State was whistled for a foul.
• The Anchorwomen took the one goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting Plymouth State by a 9-5 margin in the stanza.
• Plymouth State had several solid scoring chances in the second half, including a free kick from senior defender Kat Holmes (Newmarket, NH) in the 77th minute that hit the post.
• Junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) provided RIC with an insurance goal when she put in her ninth goal of the year, an unassisted tally in the 82nd minute, to help propel the Anchorwomen to the 2-0 victory.
• RIC sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made seven saves in the win, while freshman goalkeeper Jenna Parsons (Windham, NH) tallied three stops for the visitors.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC held a 17-16 advantage in shots for the game.
• PSU had a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks for the game.