Milton, Mass.—Rhode Island College junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made 10 saves as the Anchorwomen fell, 2-0, at Curry in the season-opener for both clubs on Friday afternoon.
Curry 2, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Colonels got on the board in the seventh minute when freshman forward Samantha Borges (Somerset, MA) set up sophomore midfielder Tayla Randall (Walpole, MA) for what would prove to be the game-winning goal.
• Borges scored an important insurance goal in the 31st minute, converting a freshman midfielder Maddie Wilson (Millbury, MA) pass, to give the hosts a 2-0 lead heading into halftime.
• Curry outshot RIC, 13-2, in the first half and held a 2-0 advantage in corner kicks.
• The Colonels outshot RIC, 11-5 in the second half to hold on for the win. Junior Katelyn DeMaio (North Andover, MA) made four saves to pick up the win (1-0).
• Curry led in shots, 24-7, and corner kicks, 4-3, in the game.
• Senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) led the Anchorwomen with two shots.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Suffolk on Saturday, Sept. 1 (1 p.m.).