Keene, N.H.--Senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored just :25 into the overtime period to give the Rhode Island College women's soccer team a thrilling, 3-2, victory at Keene State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
The win over the Owls stopped a 10-game losing streak for the Anchorwomen vs. Keene State. The last time RIC earned a win over KSC was a 1-0 victory on Oct. 6, 2007.
Rhode Island College 3, Keene State 2 (OT)
Rhode Island College (4-6, 2-2 LEC)
Keene State (2-5-1, 0-2-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Keene State jumped out to the lead in the 14th minute when freshman defender Casey Koziara (Spofford, NH) scored with an assist by sophomore forward Jordyn Abasciano (Auburn, MA) for the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC knotted the game at one goal apiece at the 21:23 mark when sophomore forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) tallied her fifth goal of the season, putting in a pass from DeGrooth, to make it 1-1.
• The two teams went into halftime deadlocked at 1-1 with RIC holding a 7-5 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• Abasciano registered an unassisted goal in the 67th minute to give the host Owls the 2-1 lead.
• RIC answered again as senior midfielder Olivia Capraro (North Providence, RI) tied the game at 2-2 as she put in a feed from DeGrooth at the 81:49 mark. It was the second goal of the season for Capraro.
• Regulation would end with the 2-2 tie as each team had 12 shots over the first 90 minutes.
• DeGrooth provided the heroics for the Anchorwomen as her unassisted goal, her team-best eighth goal of the season and just 25 seconds into the overtime period, gave RIC the 3-2 victory.
• RIC junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made six saves in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Keene State freshman goalkeeper Shelby Offord (Shelton, CT) registered four stops in the setback.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC led in shots, 13-12, and also held a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Dean on Wednesday, Oct. 3 (3:30 p.m.).