Cambridge, Mass.—Sophomore Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) straight set (6-4, 6-1) win at No. 3 singles clinched a 7-2 win for the Rhode Island College women's tennis team over Suffolk in a match played at the Buckingham Browne & Nichols School on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, Suffolk 2
Rhode Island College (2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomores Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) defeated the SU duo of senior Elena Cisneros Garcia (Barcelona, Spain) and freshman Kendall Smith (Stuttgart, Germany), 8-5, at No. 2 doubles.
• The RIC duo comprised of Bobola and sophomore Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) defeated Suffolk senior Meagan French (Newton, NH) and freshman Jordan Miller (East Longmeadow, MA), 8-6, at No. 3 doubles.
• Suffolk pulled within one, 2-1, as senior Delaney Dunlap (Hingham, MA) and freshman Ilda Ascic (Bosnia) bested senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck's (Warwick, RI), 8-6, at No. 1 doubles.
• Raskob beat French (6-4, 6-1) at No. 5 singles and Braganca bested Smith (6-4, 6-4) at No. 4 singles to give RIC a 4-1 advantage.
• Bobola clinched the win with her victory over Cisneros Garcia at No. 3 singles. Ten Eyck defeated Miller (6-4, 6-0) at No. 6 singles.
• Ascic defeated RIC sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) (6-0, 6-2) at No. 2 singles and Zangari wrapped up the day with a straight set (6-4, 6-3) victory vs. Dunlap at No. 1 singles.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Curry on Thursday, Sept. 6 (4 p.m.).