Providence, R.I.—Sophomore Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) posted a pair of victories and recorded the match-clinching victory at No. 5 singles to lead the Rhode Island College women's tennis team to a 7-2 victory against Salem State in a Little East Conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, Salem State 2
RIC (11-0, 6-0 LEC)
Salem State is (5-4, 4-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and Raskob recorded the first win of the day for the Anchorwomen with an, 8-1, victory at No. 2 doubles against the Salem State pair of junior Meredith Macdonald (Lynn, MA) and senior Kristin Klimowicz (Ipswich, MA).
• Salem State knotted the match as junior Anastasia Startseva (Volograd, Russia) and sophomore Caroline Robitalle (South Hadley, MA) posted an, 8-2, win over RIC senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) at No. 1 doubles.
• The Anchorwomen regained the advantage at the No. 3 doubles spot where sophomores Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) and Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) posted an 8-1 win over the Viking team of sophomores Hannah Dahrouge (South Hadley, MA) and Liana Angelis (Tewksbury, MA).
• Ten Eyck opened singles play for RIC with a (6-1, 6-0) win over Angelis at No. 6 singles and staked the Anchorwomen to the 3-1 lead in the match.
• Braganca posted a (6-0, 6-0) win against Klimowicz at No. 4 singles to put RIC up, 4-1, in the contest.
• Raskob then clinched the match for the Anchorwomen as her straight set (6-0, 6-0) shutout win at the No. 5 singles spot over Dahrouge gave the hosts the deciding fifth victory.
• Bobola posted her second win of the day, a (6-0, 6-2) decision against Macdonald at No. 3 singles, to give RIC the 6-1 advantage.
• Salem State picked up its second point of the afternoon at No. 1 singles where Startseva defeated Zangari (6-3, 6-0).
• RIC sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) put the closing touches on the win, posting a (6-2, 6-0) victory at the No. 2 singles spot against Robitalle.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Salve Regina on Tuesday, Oct. 9 (3:30 p.m.).