Providence, R.I.—Sophomores Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) and Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) each posted a pair of victories to lead the Rhode Island College women's tennis team to a 6-3 victory against Salve Regina at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 6, Salve Regina 3
Salve Regina (5-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Raskob and classmate Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) picked up the first win of the day for the Anchorwomen with an, 8-1, win at No. 2 doubles against the Salve Regina team of seniors Abigail Burke (Harwich, MA) and Darcy Carlin (Brewster, MA).
• Salve Regina tied the match at 1-1 when freshmen Makenzie Sadler (Mystic, CT) and Lauren Harvey (Edmond, OK) registered an, 8-3, win over RIC senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI).
• RIC regained the advantage at the No. 3 doubles spot where Bobola and sophomore Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) posted an 8-3 win over the Seahawks team of senior Anna Godshalk (Orleans, MA) and sophomore Laura Krick (Groton, CT).
• Sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) opened singles play for RIC with a (6-1, 6-0) win over Annemarie Haas (Whitinsville, MA) to give the Anchorwomen a 3-1 lead in the match.
• Braganca recorded a (6-2, 6-2) win against Krick at No. 4 singles to put RIC up by three, 4-1, in the contest.
• Raskob then clinched the match for the Anchorwomen as her (6-1, 6-0) win at the No. 5 singles spot over Salve Regina junior Shealyn FitzPatrick (South Windsor, CT) gave the hosts the decisive fifth victory.
• Salve Regina made the score 5-2 at No. 1 singles where Harvey posted a (6-0, 6-1) win over Zangari.
• The visiting Seahawks took another point at No. 2 singles when Sadler posted a (6-4, 6-1) victory against sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) to make it 5-3.
• Bobola then closed out the afternoon with a (6-1, 6-2) win at No. 3 singles against Burke.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Worcester State on Thursday, Oct. 11 (3:30 p.m.).