Providence, R.I.--Rhode Island College senior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) notched a double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs as the Anchorwomen fell to Eastern Connecticut, 3-1 (13-25, 17-25, 25-21, 11-25) in a Little East Conference contest played at the Murray Center on Tuesday night. Ward now has 999 career kills.
Eastern Connecticut 3, Rhode Island College 1
Eastern Connecticut (12-4, 3-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (9-8, 2-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) recorded 11 kills.
• Senior libero Marisa Brynes (Cranston, RI) picked up 21 digs in the setback.
• Junior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) had 32 assists and contributed four digs for the Anchorwomen
• Eastern Connecticut was led by freshman middle hitter Anna Barry (Andover, CT) with 13 kills, while sophomore outside hitter Alaerta Long (Lincoln, NE) narrowly missed a double-double with 11 kills and nine digs in the contest.
• Junior setter McKenzie Maneggia (Andover, CT) notched 20 assists, four digs and two kills in the victory
• Freshman Madison Bell (Salem, CT) posted 21 digs, four assists and two service aces for the Warriors.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC registered a .049 (35-29-123) hitting percentage in the loss, while Eastern Connecticut hit .220 (48-20-127).
• Eastern Connecticut picked up 46 digs, six blocks and eight service aces, while RIC notched 45 digs, five blocks and three service aces.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home vs. Southern Maine on Saturday, Oct. 6 (noon).