Providence, R.I.-Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored a game-high 17 points and added five rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team suffered a tough, 54-53, setback against UMass Boston in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 54, Rhode Island College 53
UMass Boston (11-9, 5-4 LEC)
Rhode Island College (4-14, 2-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) recorded a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
• Junior forward Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) narrowly missed a double-double with 13 points, eight rebounds and two blocks in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• Freshman guard Charlie Mitchell (Boston, MA) led the way for UMass Boston with 13 points and six rebounds.
• Freshman guard Charles Mitchell (Boston, MA) added seven points, 10 rebounds and three assists in the win for the Beacons.
• RIC opened the game with a three-pointer by Floyd and a pair of free throws by sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) to lead by five, 5-0. RIC built a 19-4 advantage with 11:27 left in the first half on junior forward Justin Campbell's (New Haven, CT) jumper.
• UMB's Charlie Mitchell converted a layup as part of an 8-0 run to pull the Beacons within seven, 19-12, with 8:54 left. RIC quickly went on the offensive and closed out the frame on a 14-6 run to go up by 15, 33-18, at halftime.
• The visitors slowly began a comeback bid in the second half to trim their deficit and outscored the hosts, 19-5, over the first 9:28 of the stanza to trail by just one, 38-37. RIC bounced back and an offensive rebound and putback by Campbell gave the Anchormen some breathing room, 44-39, with just over eight minutes left to play.
• A three-pointer by Charles Mitchell (Boston, MA) gave UMB its first lead of the day, 47-46, with 4:58 remaining. A free throw by senior forward James Hawkins Jr. (West Medford, MA) increased the visitors lead to four, 52-48, with just over four minutes remaining in the contest.
• RIC regained the lead, 53-52, on a three-pointer from Floyd.
• Sophomore guard Dasan Cinelli (Boston, MA) scored what would prove to be the game-winner for UMB as he hit a layup with :14 remaining after a RIC miss to make the score 54-53.
• The Anchormen had one last shot, but a three-pointer at the buzzer fell just short as the Beacons held on for the league victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 38.0 percent (19-for-50) from the field, 26.3 percent (5-for-19) from the three-point line and 58.8 percent (10-for-17) from the free throw line.
• UMB shot 29.0 percent (20-for-69) from the field, 18.2 percent (4-for-22) from the three-point line and 66.7 percent (10-for-15) from the free throw line.
• RIC out rebounded UMass Boston by a 43-40 margin and the Anchormen turned the ball over 21 times in the loss.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Amherst on Tuesday, Jan. 30 (7 p.m.).
UMASS BOSTON EDGES RIC, 54-53
Rhode Island Col.
|Mass.-Boston (11-9, 5-4, LEC)||18||36||54|
|Rhode Island Col. (4-14, 2-7 LEC)||33||20||53|
Jan 27, 2018