Providence, R.I.-Senior guards Malcolm Smith (Old Orchard Beach, ME) and Roosevelt Shider (Meriden, CT) were honored prior to the game on Senior Day as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team knocked off UMass Dartmouth, 79-70, in a Little East Conference game played at The Murray Center on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 79, UMass Dartmouth 70
Rhode Island College (7-17, 4-9 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (12-12, 5-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) posted a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds.
• Sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) led the hosts with 26 points, nine rebounds, four assists and three steals. Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) chipped in with 11 points, 10 boards, three assists and two blocks.
• UMD junior forward Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey) led all scorers with 28 points. Junior forward Arinze Obiora (Lagos, Nigeria) registered 18 points.
• A layup by Donaldson gave the Anchormen their first lead of the night, 8-7, at 16:01 of the first half. The hosts led by two before embarking on a 16-5 run to post a 13-point advantage, 30-17, with 5:47 remaining. UMD responded with a 13-2 run to climb with a bucket, but keyed by four points by Donaldson down the stretch, RIC led by six, 38-32, at the half. Gillis was immense in the paint over the first 20 minutes, posting nine points and eight boards.
• A three-pointer pulled the visitors within five, 40-35, early in the second half, but RIC saw its advantage climb back to nine, 48-39, with 12 minutes left on a Gillis free throw.
• A layup and free throw from sophomore guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI)gave RIC a 16-point lead, 57-41, with 9:34 remaining.
• The Anchormen saw their lead dip to eight, 74-66, with 50 seconds left, but Donaldson cashed in six free throws down the stretch to preserve the win.
• RIC splits the season with the Corsairs and has won three of its last four contests.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 43 percent (27-for-63) from the field, 21 percent (3-for-14) from beyond the three-point arc and 79 percent (22-for-28) from the free throw line.
• UMD shot 37 percent (28-for-75) from the field, 47 percent (8-for-17) from downtown and 86 percent (6-for-7) from the charity stripe.
• RIC dominated the glass, 49-37.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at Plymouth State on Saturday, Feb. 17 (3 p.m.).
CJ DONALDSON SCORES 26 AS MEN’S BASKETBALL KNOCKS OFF UMASS DARTMOUTH, 79-70
Rhode Island Col.
|Mass.-Dartmouth (12-12, 5-8 LEC)||32||38||70|
|Rhode Island Col. (7-17, 4-9 LEC)||38||41||79|
Feb 14, 2018