New London, Conn.--Junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made three saves as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team suffered a 4-0 setback to No. 15 Connecticut College at Seflin field on Tuesday afternoon.
Connecticut College 4, Rhode Island College 0
Connecticut College (8-3-2)
Rhode Island College (7-6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Connecticut College wasted no time getting on the scoreboard. In the 12th minute of action, junior midfielder Justin Miranda (Winchester, MA) fed a pass to sophomore midfielder Augie Djerdjaj (Mahopac, NY) who fired the ball past Tashjian to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.
• Connecticut College extended its lead in the 17th minute following a hard foul in the box by Allen David Pierre (Watertown, MA) that set up a penalty kick for junior defender Liam Donelan (Milton, MA). He converted the attempt to put the hosts up by a pair, 2-0
• The Camels were quick to add to their lead in the second half when junior forward Liam Noonan (Malibu, CA) was set up by junior forward Ben Ludwick (Boxborough, MA) to increase the CC lead to three, 3-0.
• Connecticut College added another tally in the 75th minute when sophomore forward Steve Yeonas (McLean, VA) delivered a pass to senior forward Manny Balbontin (New York, NY) who picked his spot and ended the day's offensive output.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian made three saves in the loss (6-6-2).
• Connecticut College junior goalkeeper Chris MacKay (Riverside, CT) played 72 minutes to pick up the victory (8-2-2).
• CC outshot RIC, 18-1, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 4-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at home vs. Southern Maine on Saturday, Oct. 26 (1 p.m.).