Providence, R.I.--Rhode Island College freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) clinched a 6-1 win over Wentworth with a straight set (6-1, 6-2) win at No. 4 singles in collegiate men's tennis action played at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 6, Wentworth 1
(Rhode Island College 2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and Bourque defeated Wentworth freshman Tyler Hall (Framingham, MA) and sophomore Alex Mularski (Auburn, MA), 9-8 (7-5) at No. 1 doubles.
• RIC junior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and freshman Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) bested Wentworth freshman Matt Roberts (Westfield, MA) and senior Jeff Tocco (Plymouth, MA), 8-4, at No. 2 doubles.
• RIC freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) and junior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) downed Wentworth freshmen Tristan Maus (Mansfield, MA) and Jarrett North (Roanoke, TX) with an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles.
• Esposito started off singles action with a straight set (6-3, 6-0) win over Mularski at No. 6 singles, which was followed by Bourque's match-clincher over Maus.
• Hall picked up the only point on the day for the visitors with a (6-2, 6-4) win over Taggart at No. 2 singles. Hoy gave RIC its final point with a (6-4, 7-6 (7-2) win vs. Roberts at No. 5 singles.
• Chadwick and Tocco at No. 1 singles and Gambardella and North at No. 3 singles had their respective matched called due to darkness.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Salve Regina on Thursday, March 22 (3:30 p.m.).