Providence, R.I.—Freshman Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) picked up a pair of wins as the Rhode Island College men's tennis team defeated intra-state rival Salve Regina, 7-2, in a non-conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, Salve Regina 2
(Rhode Island College 4-1)
(Salve Regina 1-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC held a 2-1 lead after doubles action.
• Salve Regina posted an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles as senior Kevin Brocks (Albany, NY) and junior D.J. Bisaillon (Watertown, CT) defeated RIC senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI).
• Chadwick and freshman Mike Dickie (Smithfield, RI) teamed up for a commanding, 8-1, win over Salve Regina freshman Will Chasse (Greenville, RI) and sophomore Trevor Jones (South Hamilton, MA).
• The Anchormen picked up their second win in doubles action as junior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) defeated SRU junior Zach Monahan (Stoughton, MA) and senior Will Masse (Chariho, RI) by an 8-4 score to take the 2-1 advantage in the contest heading into singles play.
• Chadwick notched his second win of the day with a (7-6, 6-1) victory over Masse at the No. 1 singles spot, while Dickie recorded a (7-5, 6-2) win at No. 6 singles against Monahan to earn his second win of the afternoon.
• Hoy also posted his second win of the day at No. 5 singles, defeating Chasse (6-4, 6-1).
• Taggart recorded a (7-5, 6-2) victory over Bisaillon for RIC at No. 2 singles, while Bourque had a (7-5, 6-4) win against Brocks for the Anchormen.
• Jones had the lone win for the Seahawks in singles play, defeating Gambardella (6-3, 7-5).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East Conference play at Southern Maine on Saturday, March 31 (1 p.m.).