Gorham, Maine—Six different players each picked up two wins on the day as the Rhode Island College men's tennis squad blanked Southern Maine, 9-0, in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, Southern Maine 0
(Rhode Island College 5-1, 1-0 LEC)
(Southern Maine 1-2, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC swept doubles play to race out to the 3-0 advantage.
• RIC senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) posted an 8-2 win over USM sophomore Matt Henderson (Newburyport, MA) and senior Chase Orava (Sagamore Beach, MA) at No. 1 doubles.
• The Anchormen finished the sweep of doubles action as junior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) shut out the Huskies team of sophomore Carrys Ngoy (DRC, Congo) and junior Kevin Dowling (Stamford, CT), 8-0, to give the Anchormen a three-point lead heading into singles action.
• Chadwick recorded his second win of the day with a (6-1, 6-0) win over Henderson at the No. 1 singles spot. Taggart posting a (7-5, 6-1) win over Orava at the No. 2 singles spot.
• Bourque posted a (6-2, 6-0) win over DeAngelis at No. 3 singles. Gambardella secured a (6-1, 6-0) win against Morin at No. 4 singles.
• Hoy defeated Ngoy (6-1, 6-1) at No. 5 singles and Dickie earned a (6-1, 6-1) win over Dowling to complete the sweep for the Anchormen.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to MCLA on Thursday, April 5 (3:30 p.m.).