Providence, R.I.—UMass Boston came back from a 2-1 deficit after doubles and won five of a possible six singles matches to defeat Rhode Island College, 6-3, in Little East men's tennis action played at the RIC Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 6, Rhode Island College 3
UMass Boston (6-4, 3-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (8-2, 3-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchormen pairing of junior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) defeated the UMB tandem of juniors Ray Platteel (Holbrook, MA) and Tin Tran (Quincy, MA), 9-7, at No. 3 doubles.
• The Beacons responded with an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles as freshman Miguel Beltran (Ashland, MA) and sophomore Onkgopotse Mokoka (Pretoria, South Africa) defeated RIC senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI).
• RIC earned an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles as freshman Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) and junior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) downed UMB junior Josh Bhasin (Tulsa OK) and senior Guang Huang (Quincy, MA).
• The Beacons ripped off five straight singles matches to seal the win.
• Mokoka defeated Gambardella (6-3, 6-2) at No. 4 singles to tie the match. Bhasin defeated Taggart (6-3, 6-2) at No. 2 singles and Tran bested Hoy (7-5, 6-2) at No. 5 singles.
• Platteel then defeated Scott (7-5, 6-0) to secure the win.
• Beltran earned a win (6-4, 6-3) against Chadwick at No. 1 singles before Bourque picked up a RIC win (6-4, 6-4) at No. 3 singles to close out the match.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home against UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, April 17 (3:30 p.m.).