North Adams, Mass.—Freshman Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) won at both No. 1 singles and doubles as the Rhode Island College men's tennis team defeated MCLA, 9-0, on Wednesday afternoon. It was the squad's fifth shutout of the season.
Rhode Island College 9, MCLA 0
Rhode Island College (9-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) defeated the MCLA tandem of seniors Aaron Goldsmith (Mattapan, MA) and Jared Freeman (Rotterdam, NY), 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.
• Chadwick and junior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) picked up an 8-0 win over the MCLA pairing of freshmen Charles Najimy (Savoy, MA) and Matt Bluteau (Troy, NY) at the No. 2 doubles spot.
• The Anchormen pairing of junior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) defeated sophomore Mohamed Mahrous (Boston, MA) and freshman Reydel Santana (Hialeah, FL), 8-0, at No. 3 doubles.
• Chadwick won (7-5, 6-3) vs. Goldsmith at No. 1 singles and Taggart defeated Freeman (6-1, 6-2) at No. 2 singles.
• Gambardella bested Najimy (6-0, 6-1) at No. 3 singles and Hoy defeated Bluteau (6-1, 6-3) at No. 4 singles.
• RIC junior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) defeated Mahrous (6-0, 6-0) at No. 5 singles and sophomore Jonny Glendinning (Exeter, RI) completed the sweep with a win (6-1, 6-2) over MCLA sophomore Nick Castle.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will finish the match vs. UMass Dartmouth that was suspended due to darkness yesterday on Friday, April 20 (3:30 p.m.)