Providence, R.I.—Rhode Island College lost both games of a doubleheader to Plymouth State in the Little East opener for both clubs on Saturday afternoon at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex. The Panthers edged RIC, 3-1, in the first game and ended game two, 10-0, in six innings.
THE BASICS GAME ONE
Plymouth State 3, Rhode Island College 1
Plymouth State (10-7, 1-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (4-5, 0-1 LEC)
THE BASICS GAME TWO
Plymouth State 10, Rhode Island College 0 (six innings)
Plymouth State (11-7, 2-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (4-6, 0-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
• The Panthers pushed two runs across in the top of the first inning as junior second baseman Ashley Deyo (Dover, NH) and senior designated player Abrie Davis (Amherst, NH) each smacked RBI doubles.
• RIC pulled within a run, 2-1, on sophomore second baseman Marissa Matias' (Swansea, MA) RBI single.
• The visitors tacked on an important insurance run in the top of the seventh on sophomore catcher Haley Birch's (Salem, CT) RBI double. RIC loaded the bases in the bottom of the frame, but could not get the equalizers.
• RIC junior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (2-3). PSU sophomore pitcher Caitlyn Miller (Lee, NH) struck out 12 to earn the win (5-5).
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
• The Panthers scored two times in the third inning as junior center fielder Cassidy Emerson (Concord, NH) got the ball rolling with a sacrifice fly. Deyo capped the scoring with an RBI single.
• The Panthers scored five times in the fifth as junior left fielder Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, VA) brought in two with a single and a pair trotted across on a RIC error. Davis knocked in two as part of the three-run sixth, which allowed the visitors to end the game early.
• Fleming suffered the loss (2-4), while PSU junior pitcher Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, VT) earned the win (3-0).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Deyo went 4-for-6 with three runs scored and three RBI. Davis went 3-for-6 with a pair of doubles and a run scored and four RBI.
• RIC junior pitcher/designated hitter Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) went 4-for-5 with a double.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader at Wheaton on Tuesday, April 3 (3 p.m.).