Providence, R.I.—The Rhode Island College softball team was swept by Southern Maine in a Little East Conference doubleheader played at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Saturday afternoon. Southern Maine posted a 3-0 win in the opener and finished the sweep with a 3-1 win in the nightcap.
Game One: Southern Maine 3, Rhode Island College 0
Game Two: Southern Maine 3, Rhode Island College 1
Southern Maine (15-12, 4-2 LEC)
Rhode Island College (6-12, 0-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• After three scoreless innings, Southern Maine got on the board in the top of the fourth when junior center fielder Brooke Cross (Saco, ME) hit her fifth home run of the season, a two-run shot to put the visiting Huskies up 2-0.
• Cross then gave USM an insurance run in the top of the sixth with an RBI single to help propel the Huskies to the 3-0 victory.
• Junior center fielder Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) went 1-for-2 and drew a walk in the loss for RIC.
• Cross was 2-for-3 with one run scored and three RBI in the win for Southern Maine.
• Senior Amber Kelly (Berwick, ME) picked up the win in the pitching circle for USM, hurling seven scoreless innings with seven strikeouts.
• Junior starter Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, ME) suffered the loss for RIC, giving up three runs on three hits to go along with two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• Southern Maine got on the board in the top of the third when RBI singles from sophomore right fielder Erin Martin (Biddeford, ME) and Cross put the visitors up by a pair, 2-0.
• The Huskies tacked on an insurance run in the top of the fourth on a run scoring groundout from freshman designated hitter Lauren Gasaway (Old Town, ME) for the 3-0 advantage.
• RIC broke up the no-hit bid in the bottom of the fifth when senior first baseman Kelsey Wood (North Dighton, MA) singled.
• The Anchorwomen were able to get on the board in the bottom of the sixth when senior shortstop Nicole Venturini (North Scituate, RI) scored on an RBI double from Simmons to make the score 3-1.
• Venturini reached base twice via walks and scored the lone run for RIC in the setback.
• Martin was 1-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI in the win for Southern Maine.
• Junior Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) took the loss for RIC, giving up three runs on four hits to go along with seven strikeouts in seven innings.
• Sophomore Alexis Brown (Malden, MA) picked up the win for Southern Maine, allowing one run on two hits and eight strikeouts in the complete game victory.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action with a doubleheader at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, April 17 (4:30 p.m.).