Providence, R.I.—Senior shortstop Nicole Venturini (North Scituate, RI), senior catcher Chelsea Schott (Meriden, CT) and senior first baseman Kelsey Wood (North Dighton, MA) were recognized on Senior Day as Rhode Island College split a doubleheader with UMass Dartmouth at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Tuesday afternoon. The Corsairs took game one, 12-1, while the Anchorwomen came from behind to take the nightcap, 10-7.
Game One: UMass Dartmouth 12, Rhode Island College 1
Game Two: Rhode Island College 10, UMass Dartmouth 7
UMass Dartmouth (20-8, 5-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-13, 1-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• UMass Dartmouth took the lead in the top of the third on senior second baseman Emily Colton's (Kingston, MA) three-run homer.
• RIC scored what proved to be its only run of the game on a Wood RBI triple in the fourth.
• The Corsairs ripped off four runs in the fifth, highlighted by a two-run double by sophomore third baseman Lexi Pereira (Middleboro, MA).
• UMD plated one run in the sixth and four more in the seventh, ignited by an RBI triple by junior center fielder Maddie O'Gryzek (Norfolk, MA), to put the game out of reach.
• Senior pitcher Hannah Smith (Attleboro, MA) picked up the win (9-4), allowing just one run on two hits and striking out seven in five innings of work. RIC junior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) suffered the loss (3-7).
• Colton was a force, going 3-for-4 with four runs scored and four RBI.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• UMD jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first, paced by a two-run single by freshman right fielder Kyle Fletcher (Dighton, MA).
• RIC came right back with three runs in the home half of the frame to tie the game. Wood registered a two-run single in the frame.
• The Anchorwomen built a 5-3 advantage in the third as Wood and junior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) each smacked RBI doubles.
• RIC increased its lead to 7-5 in the fourth as Schott picked up an RBI double and junior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) helped her own cause with an RBI triple.
• The Corsairs tied the game with a pair of runs in the fifth as sophomore left fielder Nicole McSweeney (Bridgewater, MA) came through with a two-run double.
• RIC put three across in the seventh as Gough knocked in a run, Schott scored on a wild pitch and Gough came across on an error.
• Gough picked up the win (4-6), allowing just one earned run on eight hits to go along with four strikeouts in seven innings of work. UMD sophomore Annika Evensen (Lake Forest, CA) was saddled with the loss (3-2).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Wood went 3-for-7 with a run scored, one double, one triple and four RBI for the Anchorwomen. Schott went 3-for-6 with four runs scored, a double and one RBI.
• Sophomore first baseman Cierra Sheerin (Bridgewater, MA) went 4-for-9 with two runs scored, a double and two RBI, while Colton went 3-for-7 with five runs scored, a homer and four RBI, for the visitors.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Mitchell on Thursday, April 19 (4 p.m.).