Keene, N.H.—Senior shortstop Nicole Venturini (North Scituate, RI) went 3-for-6 with three runs scored, a double, a homer and two RBI as the Rhode Island College softball team lost a doubleheader at Keene State in Little East action on Saturday afternoon. The Owls took game one, 10-4, and then the nightcap, 7-3.
Game One: Keene State 10, Rhode Island College 4
Game Two: Keene State 7, Rhode Island College 3
Keene State (8-16, 4-4 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-15, 1-9 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• In the opener, the hosts scored five runs in the first two innings to build a 5-0 lead. The Anchorwomen put one across in the top of the third as Venturini doubled and scored on sophomore right fielder Shaelyn DaSilveira's (Seekonk, MA) RBI single.
• Rhode Island College climbed to within a pair runs, 5-3, in the top of the fifth on Venturini's two-run bomb.
• The Owls ripped off five runs in the bottom of the fifth to go up by seven, 10-3. RIC loaded the bases in the top of the seventh, scoring one on an error, before the Owls closed out the game.
• Junior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (3-8). KSC's Molly St. Germain earned the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• Keene State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first, but RIC junior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) blasted a solo homer in the top of the second to pull the visitors within a run, 2-1.
• The Owls scored one in the third, and two in both the fourth and fifth innings to build a 7-1 advantage.
• Rhode Island College scored two in the top of the seventh on senior catcher Chelsea Schott's (Meriden, CT) two-run single.
• Gough took the loss (4-7), while KSC's Olivia McGrath earned the win (2-6).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Gough went 1-for-5 with a run scored, two steals and a homer. DaSilveira went 2-for-7 with an RBI.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader tomorrow afternoon at Wheaton.